Wednesday 8 June 2011

dressing for your body shape: petite

Image From: Getty Images

Some people have been blessed (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) with a petite frame and flat chest.

In terms of fashion, there are a lot of things petite assets allow women to pull off that their bigger breasted sisters can’t. They can dip their back hemlines low, discard the side panels of their dresses and plunge their necklines beyond appropriate. The result is feminine and sexy yet ultimately remains classy. Some flat-chested style icons that you can take fashion inspiration from include Rachel Bilson, Erin O’Connor, Frieda Pinto, Kate Hudson and Kate Bosworth.

1. Rachel Bilson. Give the illusion of curves with a tulip dress and refocus attention to other assets, such as your killer legs.
2. Erin O’Connor. Be proud of your chest and make a statement! Being able to plunge your neckline this low is the best thing about having a small chest. Keep the rest of your body covered to draw attention right to where you want it.
3. Freida Pinto. Create a bust with soft folds and accentuate your curves by adding a thin high-waist belt.
4. Kate Hudson. If you are still a little shy to try the plunging neckline, a plunging backline will also work to your advantage. There is nothing sexier than having everything else covered and your back exposed. You will need to ditch the bra to pull this off, but considering our size, this shouldn’t be a problem.
5. Kate Bosworth. Keeping your neckline high is also perfect for a smaller build. Besides adding a little mystery, it can elongate your frame and achieve an elegant look.

-fb X


Like what you read but don’t fit into the petite category? Leave a comment with a body type you would like to see featured and I will write a follow up post in the coming weeks.

26 comments:

  1. I've always had a small chest too, so these are good tips! nice post! :)

    cheers,
    --Megan//The Martian Tide

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I am a petite as well so I can really relate to this. Although I do have more curves than some petites.
    I love Rachel Bilson's dress! Is it Suno?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like we are dammed whatever size we are. The lesson is to be happy in your own skin. Great selection for your body type here. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Maya yes this is Suno! I'm not usually a fan of their stuff, but I absolutely love this dress.

    -fb X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love their outfits!
    jewellerybijou.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate to you as I fall into the small bust category. I too have embraced it as I have realised the benefits it has in wearing almost all necklines. You have offered brilliant tips. I'm a huge fan of Rachael Bilson!! Keep up the brilliant work. xxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish more people would dress for there size and not dress to be on trend. Kate looks gorgeous in burnt orange.

    Lee
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These ideas are really good and smart. Love the selection you created here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab blogpost and great ideas! Love kate hudsons dress! i settled for a peach pink colour! they looked really good!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog :)
    XOXO, BECCA
    http://www.fashion-train.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! I have a small chest too & celebs like Kate Hudson have inspired me to embrace my shape! Keep up the good work.

    We're now following you! Please follow us back :)

    Tara (& J)

    www.thestylerawr.com

    XoX

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, the dress erin o'conor is wearing looks amazing but definitely one only the smaller chested ladies could wear. I think the majority of girls wish they had a bigger or smaller chest, we just gotta be happy with what we've got and realise that yes there a certain things we can pull of that other can't. I've come to terms with having a bigger chest even though it's a right old pain sometimes!!!


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely ideas, i really like rachel bilsons dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Rachel Bilson and Kate Bosworth!
    x

    p.s following you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great tips. Very insightful and applicable. I like the first outfit the most. I like the colors and print <3 You never fail to make interesting and relevant posts!:-)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. I am petite as well. Except I don't fall under the small bust category. Regardless, I think your tips are fantastic. For me I am always searching for ways to emphasize me legs and elongate my torso...I'm cursed with a short torso :)
    -Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOOOL. really like this flat-chest-statement post! :)

    Of course every body is special and can be enhanced with the appropriate outfits! I really like all the outfits of the pics and almost didn't notice the "flat chests".
    well... but Erin O'Connor kinda pushed the limits, she looks really bad with that dress.

    xoxo,
    Nats
    http://fashmark.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. lucky lucky you! you must be special to be blessed with such a petite little frame! love your blog and images. absolutely incredible. keep up the great work!

    big love, wwndie xxx
    http://www.wwndies-threads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really good advice! When I saw the pictures I was immediately reminded of PJ Harvey's plunging necklines, which I always thought were absolutely sexy. It's all in the attitude!

    Have you written about pear-shapes yet? I'd be interested in your tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting, as a petite, but not necessarily small-chested, it is always best to emphasize your "better" assets. Petite isn't a body shape...it only relays the fact that one is shorter than 5'4" or 5'3".

    Still, the tips can be applied generally, not just for slimmer figured beauties. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rachel Bilson has my dream wardrobe! I loved seeing a variety of options.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm flat-flat and petite and I really should be bolder and do more of what Erin does so well here!
    Loved this post, congrats on making it on the IFB roundup but it doesn't suprise me, it's good stuff xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous examples of working with what you've got. Another excellent post!
    xo
    Sada
    http://dressologyhq.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete